Friday, September 16, 2016


I didn't end up highlighting or marking that many titles. Throughout high school, I never enjoyed  English and avoided reading at all costs.  I always considered English to be my least favorite subject because it never allowed me to be creative. I could never think outside the box with my work and was obligated to follow a system I hated. No creativity , no self expression , nothing to really show off my abilities.
I would always be in college prep or college prep advanced class until last year when I bumped up to honors. I enjoyed English last year because it was less stressful and we had more freedom to think outside the box with our work. We were given topics to write about and allowed to do what we wanted rather than be locked down on what the teacher wanted. I marked up around 7 to 8 titles. Some titles I was forced to read while others were more of a choice read. Freshmen year English was focused on poetry and plays by Shakespeare and other people. I remember reading Hamlet freshmen year however I don't remember what its completely about. However, I do remember reading Romeo and Juliet my sophomore year. We had to reenact the play in class to get a better understanding of what was happening. I also read Scarlet Letter my sophomore year and ended up writing my MCAS long composition on. Didn't enjoy the book but it was helpful when it came to answering the prompt.

I personally dont enjoy reading because I never can find myself indulged in a book. I find it difficult to focus while reading. My thoughts will travel and I'll get distracted and barely get anything done. Reading a book cant capture my attention as much as like a creative writing essay. If I do end up reading , its more to work on my skills and become a more advanced reader. One goal I have for myself this year is to become better at breaking apart my reading and paying attention to smaller details like themes, patterns, certain words and or repetitions. paying attention to smaller details will help me have a better understanding of what Im reading and what message the author may be trying to convey. Another goal I have for myself this year is to take my time on my assignment rather than rushing  through everything just to get it done, Ill spend my time more wisely and spend more time on my homework and assignments in general.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you can one day enjoy reading, but I understand as well why you don't. The English curriculum forces us to read books that we do not like and that makes us not enjoy it. I like how you described why you do not enjoy English, how you talked about your experience with English classes, and how that effects your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I had to fix my other comment, but I loved the fact that you set goals for yourself to become a better reader. Also I know what it feels like having to write in that certain type of system,that honestly made hate writing. But what when can write whatever you want you've come to enjoy it. I wish you luck on your reading journey and I hope you achieve those goals

    ReplyDelete